Rid yard of Pond Reeds - Knowledgebase Question

Enfield, Co
Question by Stefaniel
Hi
I had a question about how to get rid of pond reeds? I have been digging out the roots ripping them up and cutting them. The weed be gone didn't work on them. Is there anyway to get rid of them short of taking a bulldozer into the yard?

0

I know it sounds drastic, but a bulldozer might be in order! Common reed has long, stout, scaly, creeping rhizomes (horizontal underground stems) that form extensive mats. Rhizomes typically grow 1 to 3 feet below the soil surface, but can reach depths greater than 6 feet. Roots are produced at the joints (nodes) of the rhizomes. It is possible to starve out the roots if you can keep the reeds cut down to ground level as soon as they appear. It can take a year or two but it does work (I've done it). Or you can use glyphosate (Round Up), cut the reeds and immediately paint glyphosate on the stubs. The herbicide will be transported down to the roots and will kill off that particular part of the root. You'll have to do this regularly and probably for the entire summer season to make a dent in the pond reed population. Best wishes with your eradication project!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Inimitable Ice Plant"