Leaves on nectarine plant is curled - Knowledgebase Question

Temecula, Ca
Question by otloman
Why does the leaves of my nectarine plant curl?

This is the third year I have had fruits for this plant--and never had curling leaves. I have a few fruits bearing and won't be ready until June 2010.

I threw the seeds in my mulch area and it became a tree.

0

Nectarine trees are susceptible to a disease called peach leaf curl. New leaves become curled and develop reddish areas. The reddish areas become thickened and puckered resulting in severely distorted leaves. As the disease progresses, the thickened areas turn yellowish gray and become covered with velvety spores. Affected leaves turn yellow or brown and fall prematurely. Once you see the symptoms, it's too late to control it this year. If leaf curl was a problem in the spring, apply a protective fungicidal spray after leaf fall in October or November or before bud break in late winter, January through February. After buds have begun to swell fungicidal sprays are not satisfactory. Do not apply to foliage. Chemicals effective in controlling leaf curl include copperbased fungicides like Bordeaux mixture, Bravo, lime-sulfur spray, or other brands that list the control of peach leaf curl on their label.

Aphids can also cause leaves to curl. If present, the insects or cast skins will be evident if you closely inspect the leaves. The leaves can curl but won't turn reddish.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "