Bittersweet Issue - Knowledgebase Question

Storrs, Co
Question by rnmadl
We have a vine, which I believe is Bittersweet, that grows wild in our yard. It wraps around other living things and chokes them out. We have tried cutting it out and digging it out, but it keeps coming back. What is the best way to get rid of it?

Herbicides can be used for the eradication of bittersweet vines. I personally can vouch for the effectiveness of Ortho Brush-B-Gon, a triclopyr-based herbicide. This product is designed to kill woody plants, but it will kill many other plants, too, so don't use it near plants you wish to keep. Here's how this herbicide should be used:

You'll need a tank sprayer; mix the product with water, according to directions.
Apply when the bittersweet is fully leafed out. Pick a sunny day for spraying, with little or no wind. For bittersweet vine growing on the ground or on a wall, heavily spray the leaves and vines. For bittersweet climbing up a tree, you may wish to "paint" the herbicide on, so as to preclude damaging the tree with a stray mist from your sprayer.

Best wishes with your project.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"