bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

lakeside, Ca
Question by teamwolfe
I have had to dig up many paper white bulbs to relocate them. I cut the green tops off and some of the roots and now they are in a big tub in the garage. I think I was not supposed to cut them or the roots. whoopsie. what now? i would love to save them for fall....help

0

Oops for sure! Your bulbs will survive if you replant them right away but they probably won't flower next spring. The leaves manufacture and transport energy back into the bulbs for the following year's floral display. The leaves should be allowed to ripen and turn brown on their own before you remove them from the bulbs. When you cut the green foliage you interrupted the flow of carbohydrates back to the bulb. With any luck they will have sufficient stored energy to produce new leaves next spring. If you allow the leaves to ripen next spring, they should be able to store enough energy to bloom the following spring. Good luck with your bulbs!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"