nutsedge - Knowledgebase Question

Wesley Chapel, Fl
Question by efree52
How can I get rid of nutsedge or nut grass as it is slowing invading my St. augustine lawn?
Thanks

0

Image is safe to use in St. Augustine against nutsedge. Nutsedge is a water-loving relative of reeds and its appearance in a lawn is often a sign of overwatering or poor drainage. Correct these problems to help control it. The best organic method is to continue to pull the plants, every 2-3 days, removing every visible crown or stem. If you pull them out as soon as they are visible, the plants will use up all their underground stored carbohydrates as they try to grow new aboveground stems. The more you pull them, the more they use up their energy reserves. Eventually, you get ahead and the stand of weeds dies out. If you slip up and allow some of the crowns and stems to reach full size, they again start storing food and energy to return. Image is one, but there are other products available labeled specifically for control of nutsedge in St. Augustine lawns, but they will likely take multiple applications. With any herbicide, read the label carefully for instructions and application rates.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"