Is it too soon to plant seeds in the ground in Nashville? - Knowledgebase Question

nashville, Te
Question by givensma
I am new to gardening. Is it too soon to plant seeds directly in the ground in Nashville? Should I start seeds indoors first? or just buy plants? Is either way better then the other (seeds vs plants)? Can I plant bulbs?

The average last frost date in Nashville is typically April 5th. I think you can safely plant flower and vegetable seeds outdoors anytime next week. Starting plants from seeds is less expensive than purchasing plants, unless you start the seeds indoors. In this case you will need to purchase seed starting mix, trays, pots and a source of supplemental indoor lighting. I'd vote for sowing the seeds directly outdoors in the garden. You have a long growing season and planting seeds outdoors in April will give you fairly good sized plants by the time summer rolls around.

You can plant bulbs of summer blooming plants outdoors now. In the fall months you can plant spring blooming bulbs. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"