raised vegetable garden - Knowledgebase Question

Question by wrocci
I want to buiold a raised garden for my vegetables, preferably tomatoes and something else that will grow off the ground. The area is grassy and hard top dig. Can I just spray grass killer,such as roundup, and put new soil and peat moss ontop of it?

You can, or you can simply suffocate the grass by laying several thicknesses of newspaper or cardboard over the turf and then add your topsoil. You don't need to actually build a raised bed with wood or brick sides - you can simply mound up the soil (at least 18" high) and slope the sides to make your raised bed. The soil will erode from the sides during the growing season but you can simply rake the soil back up towards the top of the mound. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"