garden planning - Knowledgebase Question

Question by copytec616
Would like to start a garden in the front of my home.I have one in the back yard an it's doing great. My problem is I don't get a lot of sun in the front due to the trees.I need sugestions for kinds of shrubs or plants that I can put together to make a nice garden,an that don't require lots of sun.

You might be surprised just how many shrubs and perennials do well in shady conditions! The evergreen groundcover epimedium thrives in shade and this one is a tidy clumper, good for squeezing into crowded gardens. Its flowers are a combination of purple and white, and the new spring foliage is flushed with red. Cornus canadensis (unalaschkensis) Bunchberry; Partial to full shade, grows best in humus-rich soil. It has spring flowers and bright red berries in summer. Grows 2"-10" tall. Gaultheria ovatifolia (Slender Wintergreen); is adaptable to most soils but is best in moist shade and acidic soil. Flowers late spring to summer. It is evergreen and only 4?8 inces tall. Linnaea borealis (Twinflower) grows in partial to full shade, flowers in spring and is a low growing evergreen. Spreads readily by stolons.

False Lily-of-the-Valley; Moist shade to partial shade. Spring flowers. Plant only where you want it to spread! Grows 3? 12" tall. Oxalis oregona (Wood Sorrel) will grow in wet or dry shade. Spring/summer flowers. 2? 6". Vancouveria hexandra (Inside-out Flower) grows in sun to shade; flowers in spring. 4? 16". Adiantum pedatum (aleuticum), called Maidenhair Fern. Grows best in moist shade. This one is deciduous with delicate, lacy fronds. 12?30".

Other great perennials for shade include Aegopodium p. 'Variegatum' (Bishop's Weed) which provides a dense carpet of green and white foliage; Ajuga varieties (Carpet Bugle): a low carpet of leaves, blue flower spikes; Asarum europeaum (European Wild Ginger) with polished, emerald-green leaves; Astilbe which has fluffy flower plumes and ferny leaves; Campanula carpatica (Carpathian Bellflower) has large blue saucer flowers, grows in low mounds; Carex morrowi 'Augeo-Variegata' Mounds of evergreen, yellow-striped leaves; Chrysogonum virginianum (Goldenstar) Long blooming with starry yellow flowers ; Convallaria majalis (Lily of the Valley) White, scented flowers; Dicentra spectabilis (Bleeding Hearts) Arches of heart-shaped flowers; Dicentra x 'Luxurient' (Bleeding Hearts) Low ferny carpet, cherry red flowers; Digitalis (Foxgloves) Tall spikes of spotted flowers; Doronicum cordatum (Leopard's Bane) Clean, yellow daisy flowers; Epimedium X rubrum Red-veined/margined leaves, red flowers; Hardy Ferns of all sorts; Galium odoratum (Sweet Woodruff) Carpets of cartwheel leaves, white flowers; Helleborus orientalis (Hellebore) Large, nodding flowers in early spring; Hosta 'August Moon' Crisp mound of bright yellow leaves; Hosta sieboldiana 'Frances Williams' Huge blue leaves edged in yellow; Hosta undulata 'Variegata' Clumps of wavy green and white leaves; Lamiastrum 'Herman's Pride' Creeping carpet of silver-veined leaves; Lamium maculatum varieties Carpets of white or white striped leaves; Ligularia dentata 'Desdemona' Tall purple-leaved clump, orange flowers; Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' Creeping mat of bright yellow leaves; Mentha requienii (Corsican mint) Strongly scented flat green mat. Self-seeds; Myosotis varieties (Forget-Me-Nots) Mists of small blue, yellow-eyed flowers; Primula X 'Wanda' Low mats smothered in magenta flowers; Pulmonaria varieties Mounds of silvery leaves, blue flowers. Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"