African Violet - Knowledgebase Question

West Hickory, Pe
Question by wjaas09
I bought an African Violet for my Mother In Law for Easter and we do know how to care for them. what do we need to do for it so that it doesn't die?

Here are some general guidelines for growing African violets: Give the plant average household temperatures, but avoid drafts or sudden changes in temperature. Place the plant in a bright window, but keep it from getting direct sunlight. Keep the soil moist, but wait until the soil surface begins to dry between waterings. Use tepid, not cold water, and try not to get water on the leaves or crowns of the plants when you water. African violets like humidity in the air. To increase humidity, place the pot on a tray of pebbles in which you keep about a half-inch of water. As the water evaporates it will add humidity. Some expert gardeners are able to get African violets to bloom ten months of the year. This is because the plants are given perfect growing conditions. More often, though, African violets will bloom for a few weeks, then rest for several weeks, and then bloom again. Cut the flowers and stems off when the flowers fade. You can feed them about every two months with a complete houseplant fertilizer for blooming plants (read and follow the label directions), or with a special African Violet fertilizer. Enjoy your violets!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"