baby broccoli leaf holes - Knowledgebase Question

Bandera, Te
Question by gilbertbower
I have small holes on my baby broccoli. What is the most likely cause and other possible causes. What solutions exist, and what solutions are most eco-friendly and healthy?

Little holes in the leaves can be caused by caterpillars (most likely this early in the season) or by flea beetles (they like hot weather so they are not the most likely culprits). Look on the undersides of the leaves to see if you can find the caterpillars. They are the same green color as the leaves so look carefully. Or see if you can find frass (bug poop) on the soil or on the leaves directly below the damaged ones. Frass looks like little black pellets. If you find caterpillars you can hand pick them or use the botanical called Bt (bacillus thuringensis) sold as Dipel or Thuricide in the garden center.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"