avocado tree - Knowledgebase Question

Moreno Valley, Ca
Question by daddybentley
1 of my 2 avocado trees has browning on the tips of the leaves and is not producing fruit. what is going on?

Avocado trees are fussy about having well-draining soil. They're also very susceptible to salt burn. The discoloring of the leaves indicates one, if not both, problems. Avocado trees should be watered lightly and frequently. Fertilize lightly, and flood out salts that build up in the soil about every 4th watering. Avocado trees drop leaves quite heavily all year, and those leaves make a great mulch over the roots, so leave them if possible. One of my most prized possesions is a book called Pests of the Garden and Small Farm, published by the University of California (Publication 3332). It gives cultural information on avocado trees, plus all of the fruiting trees and shrubs that are commonly grown in California. It also has comprehensive IPM tactics for dealing with pests. It's worth ordering from Publications, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of California, 6701 San Pablo Ave., Oakland, CA 94608-1239.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"