Grapes - Knowledgebase Question

Sugar Grove, Il
Question by llavoy2
I live outside the chicago area and wnat to plant some grapes. I have heard that its best to plant in early spring b ut what about frost? and can you give some specifics about growing grapes .
Thank you

Grapevines are usually sold as dormant, bare root plants and should be planted in late winter or early spring. The plants will remain dormant until both the soil and the air temperatures are warm enough to wake them up from their winter's slumber. I'd plant them now so that when they begin growing roots the roots will become established before the top growth begins. You can plant any hardy table grape. Himrod, Bluebell, LaCrosse, and Fredonia are all popular cultivars. Grapes grow best in full sunshine, in well draining soils. They will need to be watered all spring, summer and fall. Best wishes with your new grapevines.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"