grapes - Knowledgebase Question

Sugar Grove, Il
Question by llavoy2
I hope this is not a duplicate.-- I want to plant grapes in the chicago area. I have heard that early spring is the best time , but what about frost? and can you give me any other help with growing grapes?

Grapevines are usually sold as dormant, bare root plants and should be planted in late winter or early spring. The plants will remain dormant until both the soil and the air temperatures are warm enough to wake them up from their winter's slumber. I'd plant them now so that when they begin growing roots the roots will become established before the top growth begins. You can plant any hardy table grape. Himrod, Bluebell, LaCrosse, and Fredonia are all popular cultivars. Grapes grow best in full sunshine, in well draining soils. They will need to be watered all spring, summer and fall. Best wishes with your new grapevines.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"