Sow bugs - Knowledgebase Question

Jamul, Ca
Question by wkshea5050
how do I control sow bugs in my herb garden. They are doing damage, aren't they?

Sowbugs feed primarily on decaying plant material and are very important in the process of decomposing organic matter in the garden. However, they may occasionally feed on seedlings, new roots, and leaves that are touching damp soil surfaces. Sowbugs breathe through gills and require a moist environment. Try to limit moisture on the soil surface by using a coarse mulching material such as bark mulch that will allow moisture to pass quickly through, down into the soil. Or, you can trap them by simply rolling up a sheet of newspaper into a tube, getting it wet and setting it in the garden overnight. The sow bugs will hide in the tube and in the morning you can remove the tube, fold up each end to contain the sow bugs and toss it in the garbage. Repeat nightly for a week or until you no longer are finding sow bugs in the traps. Best wishes with your herb garden!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"