What to plant in the back of my yard - Knowledgebase Question

Mt. Prospect, Il
Question by denisepent
My husband took down a shed last fall and I now have a large space in the back right of my backyard. I was thinking of several burning bushes or some kind of large flowering bush. Do you have any recommendations? The left side of my yard has tall hedges ending with a small tree in the middle.

I'd go with an evergreen shrub. Holly (Ilex species)is a broadleaf evergreen shrub that peaks in the late autumn when its red berries ripen. Tolerant of various soil/light conditions. There are several different types of holly to choose from, including English, inkberry, blue, American, longstalk and winterberry. Mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia) is a shrub that flowers in the spring and has dark, evergreen leaves. Tolerates a wide range of growing conditions.

Pieris (Pieris japonica) is another popular flowering shrub that blooms in early spring, but you?ll see flower buds develop in winter and dangle down. Dark, evergreen leaves. Grow in moist, acidic soil and partial shade.

Viburnum (Viburnum species). Flowers in spring, and has dark-green foliage through the summer. In the fall, leaves turn deep red, yellow or maroon, and bright-red berries develop. American cranberrybush types in Zones 2-7; European cranberrybush types in Zones 3-8.

Witch hazel (Hamamelis species). While common witch hazel blooms in the fall, the Asian species and hybrids bloom in the winter . The dark-green leaves turn to yellow, orange and red in the fall, and witch hazel typically has a very wide habit.

Winter honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissima). This medium-sized shrub blooms in late winter and early spring with white flowers noted for their fragrance. Tolerates a wide range of growing conditions and prefers full sun or partial shade. Leaves will fall in unusually cold winters but most of the foliage usually stays throughout the winter.

Hope one of these suggestions is just right for your backyard.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"