Sprouting seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Waterville, Ne
Question by kristi2305
I have planted seeds in a burpee home greenhouse and my morning glories and snapdragons have sprouted and my petunias have not. I don't know whether or not to take the cover of. I am afraid if I take it off my petunias will never sprout, and if I leave it on I will kill the snapdragons and morning glories. What do I do?

0

What a quandry! I'd remove the cover so the morning glories and snapdragons remain healthy. Petunia seeds take a little longer to germinate and until they do you can simply place plastic wrap over the petunia seeds. The idea behind covering them is to keep the seeds moist. If they dry out while they are germinating, the seeds can die. So cover them as best you can, or plan on misting the top of the soil once or twice a day to make sure the seeds remain moist until they sprout. Good luck with your seedlings!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"