Wilting plant - Knowledgebase Question

Miramar, Fl
Question by ekim1005us
I recently bought a peace lily plant at the home depot;after watering once a week and giving moderate sunlight (leaving the blinds half open)the leaves have started to wilt and not stand up anymore, what's the cause?

Peace lily can tolerate a lack of light so it generally does well indoors. I think from the symptoms you described the plant may be suffering from water stress. To try and save it, turn the container on its side and slide the root ball and soil out. Examine the soil to see if it is soggy wet or not. Examine the roots. They should be creamy white colored, not black, grey or brown. If the roots are rotted stand up the root ball and plant and cut away the outer parts (outer inch or so) of the root ball with a knife. Then repot the plant with fresh potting soil. Keep it moist but not at all soggy for several weeks to give it time to recover. Trim away dead leaves, and keep the plant in a bright area but out of direct sun. Time will tell if it can recover. I hope it does!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"