forsynthia - Knowledgebase Question

williamsville, Ne
Question by howwwie
I planted aprox 10 forsynthia bushes in my back yd along the fence. for 3 years in a row something chews the bark completely off the bushes and destroys them. I've replaced about half of them last yr. This spring the same thing happened. Any idea what is causing this, am I fighting a losing battle? Thank you, H. Litz

Both rabbits and voles will chew on the bark so you might try wrapping the lowest stems with green wax coated garden tape (sold in rolls to use as ties for vines) to help camoflague them, or paint the stems with white acrylic paint (the way the trunks of some fruit trees are painted to protect them from sunscald). Either way you'll be confusing the nibbling critters by changing the color of the bark. They won't be interested.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"