lemon tree - Knowledgebase Question

east quogue, Ne
Question by haroldgd
I am growing a lemon tree from seed. It's over 2 feet in hight. It is in a pot. Do I top it? How big of a pot should I have? Any other info would be helpful. Thanks!!!

Citrus trees don't require regular pruning but commercial growers trim tree tops to keep the trees smaller so they are easier, safer and less expensive to harvest, and "hedge" the sides to let more sunlight into the trees to improve yields. I don't think I'd prune the tree, though, until it is several years old. You'll want to start out with a pot that's about one third as deep as the tree is tall and plan on moving the tree to a larger and larger pot as it becomes pot-bound. When you see roots trying to escape from the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot, it's time to repot. When your tree is about 4' tall you can top it if you plan on growing it indoors. It will branch out and you can shorten the side branches to suit the growing space. I have one that looks like a lollipop - two thirds trunk and a round canopy about a third the height of the trunk. Keep the soil moist but not soggy wet and feed your tree every 3-4 weeks with a half strength dilution of water soluable fertilizer (Miracle Gro, Peter's, Shultz's or the like).

Best wishes with your lemon tree!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"