my dahlias won't grow - Knowledgebase Question

Port Orange, Fl
Question by dconway9
I planted two dahlias last year, they grew but didn't flower. I took out the tubers and dryed them out - I planted them about a month ago and nothing has happened. Also i've tried to grow yellow squash and the leaves turned brown and the plant died- itried to spray with a funguside but nothing worked. I have a big garden and i don't have problems with other vegs -just squashes andmelon

0

Dahlia tubers won't begin to grow until the soil is really warm and they can run out of energy before the sprouts reach the soil surface if you planted them too deeply. Since you planted them a month ago, I think you need to dig one up and see what's going on. You should see some roots developing and at least a sprout or two begining to work its way up through the soil. If not, replant and just be patient. Eventually they will grow = when the soil temperature suits them. You can also take the opportunity to make sure the tubers are not mushy or diseased.

If you're having trouble with squash and melons, you might want to try them again in a different part of the garden. Work some compost or other organic matter into the soil prior to planting and be sure to keep the plants watered well during the growing season. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"