Summer Blooms - Knowledgebase Question

Annapolis, Ma
Question by marpa
I'm looking to have my backyard garden to be in full bloom for my August 7 wedding. What can I plant now that will flurish through the summer and still look good in August?

0

Your question makes me a little nervous. What if I recommend some varieties and they don't perform up to par and the bride comes looking for me? Just kidding, although please know this is a little risky. You never know what kind of growing season Mother Nature will throw at you, if pests will invade your garden, or any other number of botanical mishaps. Not to mention the fact that it sometimes takes awhile for plants, especially perennials, to get established before they bloom well and dependably. If you need them by August, I would not start from seed, but purchase plants instead. In any case, make sure the bride has a backup in case of "technical difficulties". Having said that here are a few selections that are good cut flowers and should be in bloom in August: Liatris (Blazing Star), Scabiosa (Pincushion Flower), Veronica (Speedwell), Echinacea (Coneflower - several colors available, pinks, and whites), Echinops Ritro (Globe Thistle), Verbascum (Southern Charm), Boltonia asteroides (False Chamomile), Phlox paniculata (many different colors available, flowers are on panicles, not the ground cover type), Salvia (many, many colors in the range she specifies), Oriental Lilies (two August bloomers include 'Casa Blanca' and 'Antonia'. If you are looking for annuals, consider Heliotrope, Snapdragon, French Vanilla Marigold, Nicotiana, Statice, Asters, Cleome, Centaurea, Cosmos (Gazebo or Sensation mix), Ice Plant, Nigella (also called "Love-in-a-Mist"...how appropriate), and of course, Forget-me-Not. Best wishes with your garden and will your wedding.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "