what can I do - Knowledgebase Question

Red Oak, Te
Question by ynvme777
My lawn seems to have turned brown in one particular area. I would be inclined to say that it has a fungus. It's not high traffic, but it looks like someone has walked on it. The grass does not stand straight up and is brown. The rest of the yard is fine. What could have happened? Did we over-fertilize? Why did it only affect one area?

If you had snow at all, that particular area may have developed snow mold (a fungal disease). You can dig out a small area, roots and all, and closely inspect the grass blades and thatch at the soil surface. Use a magnifying glass. Fungal diseases always have fungal spores attached to the grass blades. If there was no snow you might want to investigate a little further. Chinch bug feeding can kill the roots of the grass. You can check for chinch bugs by simply sliding your foot over the adjoining healthy grass. Chinch bugs will jump up onto the top of your shoe. If you find no chinch bugs, Dig some of the healthy grass adjacent to the dry grass. Grubs will be hanging onto the roots if they are present. If you just cannot find anything concrete you may just want to vigorously rake the affected area and reseed. The new grass should green right up. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"