Peace Lily - Knowledgebase Question

North Palm Beach, Fl
Question by alphabit
My peace lily is about 3 weeks old since I bought it. It is drooping downward, almost to the floor. It is in the house, but I saw little worms at the bottom of the pot when I watered it. I also have a ceiling fan on above. What is making it droop so miserably?

0

It sounds as though your peace lily is suffering from water stress - either too little or too much. The main care requirement for your Peace Lily is water. This plant requires heavy watering, but you must allow the soil to dry out in-between watering to a point as well. This houseplant will let you know when it needs water. The leaves will begin to droop. Allowing the foliage to droop slightly in-between watering has turned out to be successful for me. However, do not let it droop severely. Once the plant is watered the foliage will spring back up. If you allowed it to dry out too much, some of the lower leaves may yellow and need to be removed. This plant also loves higher humidity levels, so providing it with a nice misting a couple times a week will help the plant remain beautifully healthy. If you have been watering regularly, it might be that the center of the soil has dried out and remains dry even when you water. You can counteract that by setting the pot in a larger container of water and letting it sit for 10-15 minutes and then allowing to drain. This soaking will wet all of the potting soil and root mass. Allow the soil to dry out slightly and then water as usual. Hope this helps! Little worms in potting soil are not all that unusual. They are helping with the decomposition process of the organic matter and will stay in the potting soil. They aren't harming your plant and they won't invade your house. If you'd like you can purchase new potting soil and repot your plant to get rid of the worms.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"