Sodding - Knowledgebase Question

st petersburg, Fl
Question by gmcneal1
I have not grass, just weeds and sandspurs. I have several full sun spots, and no sun spots in my yard. I would like to know what I can do to start a nice lawn with grass!

0

Sounds like you're ready to start all over with a new lawn. Use a vegetation killer (such as Round Up) to kill existing weeds. Once you've killed the weeds you?ll want to remove them, then rake and remove any other debris such as sticks and rocks. Then the soil should be tilled thoroughly, either by a mechanical tiller or digging down a spades depth over the entire area. The soil is now ready to be raked smooth, filling low spots and removing the humps and breaking up the larger clumps as you go. After you've prepared the soil, you can install sod. A thick, healthy lawn will shade and crowd out most weed seedlings so be sure to water and feed your new lawn on a regular basis.

St. Augustinegrass has the best tolerance for shade of any of the warm-season grass species and will also grow well in full sunlight. The most shade-tolerant cultivars are 'Seville', 'Delmar', 'Floraverde', and 'Captiva', all of which can sustain with 5-6 hours of sunlight. 'Floratam', which is the most widely used St. Augustinegrass cultivar, has relatively poor shade tolerance and requires six to eight hours of sunlight daily so you'll want to avoid this one. Centipede grass is relatively shade tolerant so this might be another one to consider.

Enjoy your new lawn!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"