Growing Wisteria - Knowledgebase Question

Walnut, Ca
Question by suehogenauer
My wisteria finally bloomed after many years but when the leaves came out the blooms went away. How do I keep it blooming

You can leave the faded flowers alone, or you can prune them off. It makes no difference to the plant. Wisteria sets blooms in late summer for the next year's spring display. All through the summer, prune out the tips of all new shoots when they reach 12" long. In the winter, shorten the shoots again so that about 6 buds remain on each shoot. Cut away all suckers that appear at the base of the plant. With a little experience you'll be able to recognize the fat flower buds as they develop and avoid pruning them off, concentrating instead on the rest of the streamers to keep the plant under control. As your wisteria matures it will be able to set more flower buds. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"