Leeks - Knowledgebase Question

East Quogue, Ne
Question by dana6133
I bought some leeks from your store recently and they all came, pre-started, in a little container. Do I have to separate them? They're kinda close together... Also, they wilt in the sun, even with water. What's with my leeks? :(

What you purchased were little transplants and they should be separated and planted individually, about 4" apart. Their root systems are small so they don't have too many reserves and will wilt in the hot sunshine until they become well established in your garden. I'd divide and replant them then place a temporary shade over them for about a week. By the end of a week or 10 days the roots will have established and the plants should be able to tolerate full sunshine. I just drive a couple of stakes in the ground and attach a piece of cardboard or an old hand towel positioned to shade the new transplants from hot afternoon sunshine. Morning sun is okay. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"