appletree - Knowledgebase Question

princeton, We
Question by glmorgan55
I purchased an apple tree at one of your stores last fall. I planted it in my yard and over the winter a deer ate some of the bark off the bottom stock or the trunk about half the bark.My question is:the tree is starting to leaf out,will the trunk decay-rot or get deseied ? what should i do to the apple tree-will it be ok if i just leave it alone? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ON THIS MATTER.

How disappointing for you! It is possible that the tree will survive and will callous over the wound. Don't dress the wound with anything - just leave it alone for now. Late this summer place a tree guard over the trunk of your tree. These are perforated hard plastic wraps that you unwind and place over the trunk of a tree. It allows fresh air in and room for rainwater to drain but will effectively keep deer and other critters from chewing on the bark. Hope the critters go elsewhere to feast!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"