Squirrels and Tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Frederick, Ma
Question by cazimier
I want to grow tomatoes on the porch in a canister, but I have squirrels & rabbits in the area, 1-will they eat my tomatoes, 2-what can I do to protect them? 3-Do I need to build a cage to keep them out, if so, how?

0

A cage around each plant is probably the best protection you can give your plants. Or you can plant them in a Topsy-Turvey or Upside-Down planter and hang the planter from a metal post. Rabbits can't reach them but squirrels might be able to climb the post so you may have to use a squirrel-proof baffle midway up the post. Squirrels can climb up on the roof and then down again if you hang the planters from the eaves of your house, but that might also be an option if you can attach a baffle between the eave and the planter. Wish there were an easier solution!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"