Container miniature tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Federal Way, Wa
Question by karenfa
I would like to train some pear and grape tomatoes to climb down a wall from a window box. I did this several years ago, but can't remember how I did it! Can you give me any hints about how to train them to go down instead of up? Thank you so much, Karen Atkinson

0

Tomatoes will usually trail on the ground if they don't have a support system on which to climb but I think you can encourage downward growth by gently tying the stems to keep them growing downward or if you hang little rocks or little fishing weights on the stems. The weight doesn't have to be tremendous, just enough to make the stems hang downward. Then, once the fruit begins to develop, the weight of the fruit will drag the stems downward and you can remove the rocks or fishing weights. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "