Front Yard Flower Bed - Knowledgebase Question

fort Worth, Te
Question by goyalmk16
I have some green Hazes (equal hight green trees, i don't know the exact name)in my front yard raised flower bed. i want to give contrast to the flower bad and want to plant some colourful flower trees for most blooming time. can you suggest some name? i won't have much sun light there may be for few hours sun light.

There are a few flowering trees that should do well in the area you describe. Deciduous magnolias come in many forms from the taller tulip magnolias (Magnolia quinquipeta) with its tall purple blooms lined with a creamy white interior, to the saucer magnolias (M. soulangiana) with saucer-shaped blooms that are purplish outside and white to pink on the interior, and the Star Magnolia (M. stellata) which produces a bloom with many strappier petals on a multistemmed shrub/tree. They all prefer the acidic soils and higher rainfall of east Texas but are occasionally seen west of that range when a gardener is able to provide suitable conditions.

These deciduous magnolias are among the first woody ornamentals to bloom in late winter to early spring. In our hot climate the deciduous magnolias appreciate a little afternoon shade. A multitude of varieties are available. You can stretch the season a bit by choosing more than one species or variety.

Dogwood - The white or occasionally pink blooms of Eastern Dogwood (Cornus florida) adorn the forest edges throughout the easternmost parts of the state. Bring them into your landscape and act like their survival is important to you and they will die sure enough. In fact I used to say that dogwoods love to die! The truth is that they do quite well if we will give them the conditions they want and leave them alone.

They love a forest floor soil, so add compost to the area prior to planting. Then mulch the surface and keep the soil moist but not soggy wet. Plant them where they get morning sun but have a break from the afternoon sun. I have found the pink ones more difficult to grow, perhaps due to their seed sources, but there are many great pink specimens throughout east Texas.

Redbud - One of the first signs of spring are the blooms of the redbud trees. Their blooms appear before the foliage emerges to announce the arrival of the new season. If you live in the eastern parts of the state the Eastern redbud (Cercis canadensis) is your best choice. Two great choices are the variety 'Oklahoma' with its wine red blooms and 'Forest Pansy' which sports purplish red new foliage that fades toward green as the season progresses.

Hope these work for you!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"