How to Care For Blue Fescue? - Knowledgebase Question

Augusta, Ma
Question by monalisa716
I planted blue fescue last year and I'm not sure what I should be doing to it this spring. I did not do anything to it last fall. Most of it has yellowed and gone limp over the winter months but it does still has some green towards the center - will the yellowish parts die off and wilt naturally or should I cut the whole plant back to the ground to prompt this year's new growth? Thanks!!!

Rather than cut back blue fescue, you can renew its appearance by pulling the old foliage away. This will maintain the clump, yet make room for healthy new spring foliage. I have about a dozen plants and every spring I put on my gardening gloves (those with rubber on the palms work best) and simply grab a handful of foliage and pull straight up. The rubber palms help me keep my grip on the blades of grass. I keep grabbing small bunches of blades in my hand and pulling straight up until a majority of the oldest foliage has been removed from each clump. When I'm finished, the whole clump looks neater and ready for new growth. Hope this method works as well for you

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"