beetles - Knowledgebase Question

Palm Desert, Ca
Question by LORBRET
I have beetles on the blooms of my rose bush. Looks like they develop with the flower. About the size of the end of your little finger. Spray kills them but each new bloom has them inside the leaves. ??? Thank-you, Joan

It's not too likely they actually hatch within the flowers - if they did they would have spent some time feeding on the petals and your flowers would look half eaten or not even open at all. Instead, I think they are attracted to the open blooms and arrive in the very early morning hours. There's not much you can do to keep them from flying in but you can control them by hand picking or spraying them. There's a systemic you can use that will kill the beetles when they feed on your roses. Look for Rose Defense or other products in your local garden center. Be sure to apply according to label direvctions.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"