faded bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Sunnyvale, Ca
Question by pina800
Do I let the stalks of dafalidils dry up before I snip them down. I want to plant impatents in the same bed.The stalks will be overshadowing the new plants. I hope to keep them there for next year.

You can prune off the faded flower and flower stem but you should allow the daffodil foliage to remain untouched until it dies down on its own. It will only take another week or two for this to happen. The leaves are busy manufacturing and transporting energy back into the bulbs for next year's flower. If you cut them off while they are still green, the bulb won't have enough stored energy to develop flowers next spring. Instead of cutting the foliage, work around it while planting your impatiens. When the leaves finally do die down you can simply snip them off at ground level.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"