Fruit trees vs cedar trees - Knowledgebase Question

La Cygne, Ka
Question by csmabc
I've heard cedar trees can damage fruit trees produce. What is a safe distance to plant my fruit trees from a large cedar tree to avoid damage?

0

The cedar trees (Eastern red cedar or Juniperus virginiana and many cultivars of juniper) in themselves do not harm apple trees, but they may serve as the alternate host for cedar-apple rust, a fungus. While it may be partially effective to remove any "nearby" junipers or cedar trees, the actual distance is usually somewhat academic since the fungus can be brought in on the wind. It is generally better to use rust resistant apple varieties whenever possible, and to use an appropriate fungicide on the apple trees if necessary. An additional control measure would be to physically remove any galls that might appear on nearby junipers or cedar trees. They look for all the world like orange jelly fish, and they appear in the spring.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"