Hummingbirds - Knowledgebase Question

Cortlandt Manor, Ne
Question by thomasleder
I am looking to create a hummingbird garden in my yard. The conditions are: partial sun and heavily populated with deer. Any suggestions on what to plant that will grow and not be too attractive to our four legged friends.

Thanks for your help.

I'm afraid that most of the plants that attract hummingbirds are also attractive to deer so you may have to build your garden on a trial and error basis. Whether or not deer will feed on the plants depends upon how much competition there is for food; Perhaps the only way to keep your landscape safe is to build a fence? With that said, here are some plants irresistable to hummers: Azalea, Butterfly Bush (Buddleia), Cape Honeysuckle, Flame Acanthus, Flowering Quince, Lantana,
Turk's Cap, Weigela, Coral Honeysuckle, Cypress Vine, Morning Glory, Scarlet Runner Bean, Trumpet Creeper, Bee Balm (Monarda), Canna, Cardinal Flower ,
Columbine, Coral Bells, Four O'Clocks, Foxglove, Hosta, Agastache, Lupine,
Penstemon, Impatiens and petunias.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"