Dethatching - Knowledgebase Question

Chandler, Ar
Question by jbrenthatch
When do you recommend dethatching and how vigorous do you do it? I aerified it last spring--do I need to do that again? It is tifgreen and has been down for 5 summers. Thank you for your help.

0

Dethatching is a practice used on mostly warm-season lawns that produce heavy woven mats of stolons or runners. It's done in spring before the lawn gets off to a new start. The steps, in order, are: 1) scalping -- setting the mower as low as it will go and taking the grass to within 1/2 inch of the ground; 2) dethatching -- using a rented machine that rakes the mat of runners right out (hand dethatchers are available but they are not efficient and can wear out the best of us if the lawn is large). Since you've already aerated your lawn, you won't need to do it for another 2-3 years. Hope this answers your question!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"