Tree Ring - Knowledgebase Question

Livermore, Ca
Question by summerblst
I want to put a tree ring around my tree, but there is a large root in the way. Can I cut it?? will my tree die? Pls Help..thanks!

Anytime you cut a tree root you can compromise the tree's health. The answer depends upon the size of the root, whether or not it is anchoring the tree on one side (how many other roots does the tree have on that side to help hold it in place?) and the general overall health of the tree. If you sever the root, the tree may react by sending up suckers in the area of the cut. Or, it may simply close off the wound and grow a new root elsewhere. Wish there were an easy answer to your question! Is there any way to go around the root as you build your tree ring? Maybe you can set the first run bricks or blocks slightly buried, skip the place where the root is and place the second run of bricks or blocks atop the first, leaving a hole where the root is. This will provide drainage and still allow the root to grow unimpeded. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"