Weed control in garden and lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, Ne
Question by mjcristi51
I have a problem with a weed on my lawn that looks and smells like scallions. The root has small like bulbs. I don't know how to get rid of them. They are also in my garden. There are to many of them to dig up. Is there a weed killer for this type of weed? What should I use that won't kill my lawn or plants in my garden. I live in the New York area.
Thank you for your help

0

Wild onions are very difficult to control in lawns or in flower beds. Digging is the best approach but you'll need to get the bulbs and any little bulblets out of the ground or they'll just resprout. In the lawn, the best way may be to mow them off and spot treat the cut ends with an herbicide containing glyphosate. This is a nonselective herbicide that will kill lawn grass, so you need to be careful when you apply it. (Wiping it on with a paint brush or sponge may be the easiest.) I'd use the same method in the flower beds. Glyphosate (Round Up is one brand) will move down from the stem into the bulb and kill it off, but there are lots and lots of underground bulbs so you may need to attack each one as it sprouts. It may take an entire season but if you keep at it, you'll eventually gain control. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "