Hard to grow area - Knowledgebase Question

short hills, Ne
Question by aglita1
I have been unsuccessful at planting shrubs/bushes in the back of my property which gets only part shade. I have tried arborvite, rhodadendron, andrometa, holly and most everything seems to grow well during the season I plant it and then the next season they either die completely or almost die. I am looking for something that is a good screen from my neighbors and grows at least 6-8 ft quickly

0

Everything you've tried are exactly the same shrubs I would recommend for a shady site. I wonder if your soil needs some amendments? If you dig in some compost to help it drain quickly yet retain just the right amount of moisture, it may help. It's also important to water your shrubs regularly during the summer and fall so they are healthy when they go into the winter months. As long as the soil doesn't get soggy during the winter, the roots should survive. Amending with compost prior to planting will help the soil drain well. Some shrubs to consider growing include Leucothoe, Skip Laurel, Yew, Leyland Cypress, Nandina (heavenly bamboo), Pieris and climbing hydrangea. Hope these do well for you!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "