Garden courses and clubs - Knowledgebase Question

Tonawanda, NY
Question by BFfosebria
Hey I am interested in all the different classes in gardening in the tonawanda area. I wanto start going and learn more and talk to fellow gardeners and also be able to swap perennials. So if you could let m eknow, I would appreciate it. Thanks

I also have a question, in how do I start flowers from seeds. I started some last month and they are getting a nice size, but now I need to split them. I am just wondering how to do it without breaking the stems and roots. Thanks

If you're interested in comprehensive gardening instruction, Cornell University offers the Master Gardener program. You can learn about it and some of the local activities through the following website: http://www.gardening.cornell.e...

If there's something special you want to learn about, such as roses or orchids you can find local garden clubs by contacting the American Rose Society or American Orchid Society through the internet. The sites list the local clubs. There's a virtual encylopedia of knowledge out there - you just need to make connections.

If your seedlings need to be transplanted, you can dig them with a kitchen fork and handle them by the leaves rather than the stems. If you accidentally crush a leaf during the process the plant will grow new leaves but if you crush a stem, the plant will die. So, just uproot the seedling by digging and lifting with a fork and then pick up the plant by the leaves. Be sure to water each as you transplant it. Best wishes with your seedlings!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"