Ground covers - Knowledgebase Question

Orlando, Fl
Question by katiesgran
My front yard has very large oak trees that have killed all grass due to shade. Soil is poor & lots of roots. I planted Asiatic jasmine as a ground cover, but nothing is growing very well. I want my yard to look nice, but it looks horrible now. Any help??? or suggestions??? I had started a large planter around the trees, but most of that has frozen back or deteriorated. I am desperate..

It's difficult to get anything to grow under oak trees because of the shade and dry soil, not to mention the competition from the roots for moisture and nutrients. To give your new plants/groundcovers a fighting chance, dig a planting hole and amend it with compost or other organic matter. The roots will thrive in the the planting hole and once established, will venture out into unamended soils, eventually adjusting to the conditions. Some plants to try (again!) are Confederate jasmine, coontie, mondo grass and wedelia a try. You might also try ferns, ivy, lilyturf and wandering Jew. Most of these ground covers are not too particular about where they are planted. Good luck with your new plants!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"