evergreen care - Knowledgebase Question

Harper Woods, Mi
Question by tyuslv
My evergeen shrub is all brown in side with athe outer edges still green. Can it be saved? If I trim it only brown dead branches will show.

Some evergreen shrubs naturally lose their innermost foliage so what you're seeing might be normal - or it could indicate a spidermite problem. Take a sheet of white paper, hold it within the inner parts of the plant and sharply tap the branches. Some debris will fall on the paper. If it's the size of a speck of pepper and it moves, your plant has spidermites. You can use a pesticide or you can simply hose them out of the plant and periodically hose your plant down all summer long. Spider mites love dry, dusty places. You can lightly trim your plant to encourage lots of new outer growth which will help hide the bare interior. Just clip and inch or two of green foliage off now and you'll see lots of new growth later this spring. Best wishes with your evergreen.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"