Spirea Shrub Problem - Knowledgebase Question

Verona, Wi
Question by michbee2002
I have 3 Spirea shrubs in my yard and 2 of them are growing nicely, one of them is having problem now, more than 3/4 of the shrub were dead, what should I do? Could I still save it? How?

It's really difficult to diagnose a plant problem without being able to inspect the plant! Since you have two others that are doing well, you obviously know how to take care of them in terms of watering and fertilizing so I wonder if the ailing shrub is having problems with the roots - perhaps the soil doesn't drain well where it's planted - or if it has contracted some kind of disease or is more exposed than the others and is suffering from winter dieback? All of these things are possibilities. I'd prune the shrub down now to remove the dead plant parts and to encourage healthy new growth. Be sure to water it deeply once each week all through the spring, summer and fall so it goes into the winter months as healthy as possible. Examine the plant for insect problems or signs of disease. I hope pruning it back will help it recover from whatever is ailing it!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"