suggestions for flowering shrubs that grow well in mostly shade? - Knowledgebase Question

Bowdon, Ge
Question by sewforyou
I'm looking to purchase some type of shrub or flowering bush to plant up next to my house and in the corner of it and my fence, but it mainly stays shaded there...any suggestions? I already have plenty of azaleas around our yard, just looking for something different. Thank you :)

0

There are several shrubs to choose from:
Oakleaf Hydrangea is my number one choice. Oakleaf hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia) grows 6 to 10 feet high with yellow green leaves 4 to 12 inches long. Leaves turn red, purple and bronze in the autumn. Its flowers are on 6- to 12-inch long clusters, changing from white to pink to a rust brown as they age. Grow oakleaf hydrangea in partial shade to full shade and prune to keep it under control.

The sandanqua viburnum (Viburnum suspensum) is a shrub from the honeysuckle family. It is an evergreen that grows 6 to 12 feet tall and 6 to 12 feet wide. Leaves are coarse, dark green and 3 1/2 inches long. Its tubular flowers appear in winter, spring and summer. Blooms are white and are panicles. Grow a sandanqua viburnum in well-drained soil with partial sun to shade conditions.

American Strawberry-bush (Euonymus americanus ) grows 4 to 6 feet high with deciduous leaves that are 2 to 3 inches long. Flowers measure less than an inch and are greenish yellow. Grow an American strawberry-bush in well-drained slightly acidic soil in shade.

'Callisto' Indian Hawthorn is an evergreen shrub that produces an abundance of bright pink flowers in Spring. An excellent alternative for azaleas. The dense, low and mounding form, and small size (3'X3') makes this shrub a wise selection for foundation plantings. Very dark green, wavy leaves and purplish-black Fall berries add to the appeal of this shrub. Exceptionally drought and heat tolerant.

Variegated Pittosporum features beautiful creamy white and green variegated foliage. The flowers go unnoticed against the foliage, however they are pleasantly fragrant, perfuming your yard for weeks with the sweet smell of orange blossoms. Fast growing and will need some trimming when young. Thrives in sun or shade and not picky about soil so long as it is loose and well-drained. Useful in landscape beds and islands as a background, natural or formal hedge, stand-alone specimen or tree form when pruned properly. Exceptionally heat and drought tolerant.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"