Hummingbird Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Cortlandt Manor, Ne
Question by thomasleder
My property has a lot of fieldstone just beneath the surface and I find it difficult to dig hole for my new shrubs. Can I plant a butterfly bush in a very large flower pot to avoid the issue of digging a hole. Also, I heard trumpet vines should not be planted to grow up the side of trees b'c they would stangle them. Is this true? Please advise on the best place to grow such flowering vine. Thanks.

0

A butterfly bush should grow happily in a large container. Choose one about the size of a half=whiskey barrel. It's true that vining plants can cause problems if allowed to climb up into a tree. The vines can girdle the branches and eventually kill them off. Plus, the vines can hold excess moisture against the bark which could cause it to rot. I'd plant the trumpet vine near a trellis or fence so it can climb up and reach for the sun.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"