Crawdads? - Knowledgebase Question

Moran, Ka
Question by wille7
I have something living in my flower bed on the north side of my house. There is evidence of tunneling with visible dirt/mud mounds around the hole openings. My neighbor says I have crawdads. How can I get rid of them?

The best approach is to install a curtain drain to help with the excess moisture. Crayfish will burrow in moist to wet soil but won't be attracted to soils kept on the dry side. There no labeled pesticides but any chemical put into a crayfish burrow will pollute the groundwater so I'd steer clear of them. You might want to contact your local cooperative extension office or Fish and Wildlife to see what solutions they have. In some states the critters are on the endangered and protected list. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"