How to update flower beds? - Knowledgebase Question

Pittsburgh, PA
Question by L819Anne
I would like to update the flower beds that are in the front of my house along the front. Right now they are flat and boring. I would like to make them higher and more rounded with dark mulch on top like the newer beds are. Any tips? Also, I have currently have 2 azalea bushes along with some hostas and daffodils. Do I have to dig them up and replant them in this newer type of bed? Thank you for your time. -Lee

Since you plan to change the grade of the flower beds I think it will be much easier to remove the existing plants than to try to work around them, but the bottom line simply rests on how much of a change you're going to make. You could work around the plants if you plan to add a few little mounds of dirt rather than making the entire bed higher. I'd remove all the plants, set them in a shady spot and cover the roots with wet burlap or blankets to keep the roots from dehydrating then add a few inches of topsoil and dig it into the existing soil to eliminate the possibility of the current soil from turning into a barrier for rainwater or water from the sprinkler. Once you've introduced the new top soil to the native soil you can pile up the new topsoil to whatever height you want and gently rake it into a mound or raised area so it doesn't erode and wash down the sides. Tamp it down and then replant your azaleas, hostas and daffodil bulbs. When everything is replanted you can cover over the top with mulch material. Enjoy your new flower beds!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"