is it to early to start planting vegtables? - Knowledgebase Question

ogden, Ut
Question by duder311
I have purchased some pepper and tomato plants and was wondering if its too early to plant them. Thanks

Both tomatoes and peppers are warm season crops so you'll want both soil and air temperatures to be warm before planting. My research shows you're average last frost date is about May 5th so I wouldn't plant them outdoors until after that date. If you need to plant them (if you have no room in a frost free greenhouse, hothouse or bright sunny shed) you can place them outdoors now but be ready to cover them if frost is predicted. You can purchase insulating blankets or cones to set over the tops of the plants overnight but be sure to take them off during the day when the sun is out - otherwise you'll cook your plants! Hope you have a bountiful harvest!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"