Strange looking Tree? - Knowledgebase Question

White, Ge
Question by dianacatc
Can anyone tell me what kind of tree/plant this is? I have searched and searched and can't figurer it out. Any help is much appreciated. You can see pictures of the tree that I posted on Flicker at

Thanks for posting the photos. Since it's growing in a woodland area, I'm inclined to think it is a native plant. The flowers look like those of the dogwood but dogwoods don't have thorns. So I went to the best source I know - The University of Georgia and scoured their publication on native trees and shrubs. I found a similar plant: Mayhaw (Crataegus aestivalis) which is a member of the Rose/Rosaceae family. the Mayhaw is a thorny, deciduous, small tree with white flowers borne in a flat cluster in March. The fruit are round, ? to one inch in diameter, and ripen to shiny red in May and June. The bark is scaly and mottled. You can see a photo on page 62 of their native plant publication:

Hope this is your plant!!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"