Corn - Knowledgebase Question

Waddell, Ar
Question by jp072348
My corn grew to about 4 inches tall then the top 2 inches fell over. Some new growth is also turning brown. Moisture seems to be doin well but I do have black nats because of top soil. I am in the Surpise Arizona area.

0

Overwatering or poor root development could account for the problem. You didn't say how you prepared the soil. If you did not amend the soil with compost prior to planting and amend it deeply (corn develops really deep roots), the roots may be having trouble penetrating the compacted and clayey soil. Without an adequate root system, the tops of the plants will suffer. The seeds need to be planted at least an inch deep to promote a healthy root system, as well. I don't know at this point whether or not your corn will perk up. You may want to plant some new seeds in a well prepared bed just to make sure you can harvest some corn later this summer. The gnats are common for the area and will die out when the weather gets hot so don't be too concerned with them. Best wishes with your corn!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "